Traveling with Diabetes
November 27, 2013 – 3:18 pm | No Comment

I’ve travelled several times each month this year and it’s given me some lessons:
I’ve learned that I get motion sickness on planes and cannot travel without taking Dramamine.  I tried to forego it once and …

Read the full story »
Diabetes and work

Issues at the workplace and tips for handling them

Diabetes and relationships

Info on dating diabetics, dating, friendship, and family

Diabetes and your mind

How your mind affects your diabetes and what you can do to make the best of it

Diabetes and your body

Body image and issues, exercise and diabetes

Diabetes and Diet

Home » Diabetes and Diet, featured, headline, Healthy Habits, Worthy Causes

Raw Milk Experiment

Submitted by on April 25, 2012 – 8:43 am10 Comments

logo Raw Milk Experiment

My family and I live in Virginia where it’s illegal to buy and sell raw milk.  However, clever people have found a legal loophole.  The law states a person can consume the milk from their own cow.  So we have bought what is called a cow share.  It allows us to legally purchase raw milk because we’re just drinking what our dear cow provides.

Don’t worry, I researched this farm, talked to people who’ve been drinking their milk for years, and even inquired into the health and total treatment of the cows.  Safety is very important with stuff like this.  Totally unrelated, but I love cows.  Such gorgeous lugs :)

Anyway, why am I trying raw milk?

First of all, I’ve become aware that much nutrition is destroyed in the pasteurization process.  Some don’t agree but I’ve found more researchers agreeing than not agreeing.  Milk is pasteurized to kill anything harmful in it.  However, a cow that is healthy, that eats it’s proper diet (grass, not grains!), is treated with love and care, and is milked under strict sanitation guidelines yields safe, healthy milk.  And that appeals to me.

Also, there have been too many studies for my comfort talking about a link between pasteurized milk and type 1 diabetes in children.  I have two such children and therefore take this information very seriously.

Raw milk proponents say the benefits include:

-More Vitamin A, C, and D

-More readily absorbed calcium and iron, Vitamin B12, and B6

-More minerals, including Iodine and Folate

-Protection against asthma and allergies in children (pasteurized milk has been strongly associated with the increase in asthma, allergies, ADD, auto immune diseases and more.)

(View source for the above info.)

My husband grew up in a rural area and drank milk straight out of the cow’s (and goat’s) teets and he literally is the healthiest person I know.  Literally.  All he’s ever had to deal with is a cold and because this is all he’s ever experienced, he is severely annoyed by something as simple as a runny nose.  (Lucky…)  Is there a connection?  I don’t know but I’m intrigued.

I’ve been drinking the milk for a week now and all I can say is tastes amazing.  It has no strong flavor whatsoever.  It just tastes like creamy heaven.  One of the best parts is it doesn’t taste like stinky plastic because it hasn’t been sitting in a plastic container for weeks or months.

I will let everyone know if I notice any benefits to our family in the next weeks/months.  I’m not looking for any, instead, I’m trying to tie us closer to things as they come in nature-keeping safety as a priority.  I figure that’s the healthiest way to go.

Anyone out there drink raw milk or have any opinions on it?  I’m very interested to hear!

share save 120 16 Raw Milk Experiment

10 Comments »

• Michael says:

I don’t know much about raw milk, and actually gave milk up a couple of years ago (since it kills my blood sugar), but I really love the idea of buying a share in a cow.
    Congrats.

• Jane says:

Do you know what the carb count is like for raw milk in comparison to pasteurized milk?

I’ve wanted to try raw before, but don’t have access.
    Great article!

• Sysy says:

Michael, milk does a number on my sugars, too. I tend to only add an ounce or two to my tea or herbal coffee :) My kids and husband down much more at a time, though.

I think the carb count is the same, Jane.

• Nathan says:

My mom was pretty alt-health in the 80s when I was growing up, and she purchased 11 gallons/week of raw milk from the local dairy for us kids to drink. Our dad is a Type 1 diabetic, so we took quite a few health precautions to see if we could dodge genetic bullet. Although two of the seven children did end up with T1, we are all healthy people. The extra cream didn’t make anyone fat. It was great milk.

From what I know about auto-immune disease now, I think avoiding gluten might have been more effective than avoiding refined sugars, but that’s progress.

• Kate says:

My boyfriend also grew up drinking the raw milk from the cows his family raised in Colorado. His immune system puts mine to shame and he very rarely catches even a cold. I think it’s a worthwhile experiment to try if you are a milk drinker. Not to be a downer, but the standard dairy industry isn’t always the most humane. I think buying milk from a small local farm, when possible, sounds like a much more kind way to consume your milk! Good luck with the experiment.

• Sysy says:

Thanks Nathan! Great to hear your family are all healthy. I agree with you that avoiding gluten seems to be the most effective measure to take. I notice that my kid’s stool (I’m still changing diapers) is best when they don’t eat wheat and that hints to me a better likelihood in them avoiding the leaky gut syndrome that has been implicated in auto-immune diseases. I don’t think it’s just a coincidence that I struggled to tolerate wheat for so many years before developing type 1 diabetes. And I know this all seems like a lot of assuming but I’d rather go with the flow of what we are learning than sit back and do nothing.

• Sysy says:

Hi Kate! Glad to hear your boyfriend is so healthy! I agree that the standard milk industry isn’t the most humane, in fact from what I’ve learned, I think it’s downright cruel and I have a hard time dealing with that. I’m not big on milk in general but my kids and husband love it so I wanted to find them a better source to consume. Thanks for commenting :)

• Laura P. says:

I’ve totally looked into raw milk here and you have to buy part of the cow to get it!! It’s sooo expensive. I would die to have access to raw milk!! You are so lucky!I am interested in your results. Sounds awesome. My family can’t hack dairy very well, but I’ve been buying more to make kefir and am hoping the benefit of kefir outweighs the crap of milk…

• Sysy says:

Hi Laura! That’s what a cow share is :) Buying part of a cow! It is more expensive :( I don’t know how I’ll afford it as the kids grow and drink more! We’ll have to see :) I’ve heard that 80% of people who don’t tolerate milk have no problems with raw milk, which is pretty interesting… Anyway, kefir is awesome! Thanks for commenting :)

• Jessica Collins says:

Are there any updates? Has the milk helped at all?

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: