Thanks to my numerous allergies, I sometimes get laryngospasms which is where my throat closes up due to larynx muscle spasms. It only lasts a minute or two but it scares me to death each time it’s happened because when it happens I can’t breathe or talk.
Well, Sunday, yours truly, the occasional idiot, ate some blue cheese, which I seem to be allergic to (the mold in it or it’s relation to penicillin?) Anyway, since eating blue cheese just causes me a sore throat, I didn’t think it was a big deal. So I enjoyed some and figured I’d just enjoy my temporary hoarse voice for a few days.
Yesterday, I was in the living room with the kids when I took a sip of water and my throat suddenly closed up. Within a minute I was on my knees struggling just to get a little bit of air. Usually by 90 seconds I’m done and starting to suck in a tiny bit of air but this time I could feel myself getting really weak. My head felt like it was swelling, my lungs felt like a major bruise, and next thing I know, I was waking up.
I got up slowly, relieved to be alive and then quickly searched the room for my kids. They do so many crazy things that I felt myself blurting out “Oh thank God!” to find them sitting on the couch looking through books. Little angels. I had a bruise on my hip and I wondered if that was from falling over or my kids jumping on me (both are equally imaginable possibilities). I looked at the clock and calculated that I was out about 20-30 minutes. Why so long? Did my body decide to take advantage of the opportunity and grab a quick nap?
The reason I was fine is because when you pass out from this, the muscles don’t spasm any longer. At least that’s what my allergist told me. So I really only fear this while driving or something like that.
I couldn’t help but go to sleep last night feeling so thankful and thinking about how lucky I was to pass out and type 1 diabetes not be the cause. I wonder how many people who suffer from these spasms has that thought. lol.